Tropp says he's sorry, regrets it, but did not admit he's embarrassed about the attention his incident, or attack, is getting to Matt Zimmer of the Argus Leader in Arguslav, Arguslavia (not really, the AL is in South Dakota):
AL: I assume this is something you really regret?
CT: Oh, absolutely. I loved being at MSU, and just, the whole way the situation happened and everything. It definitely upsets me.
AL: Are you embarrassed by all the attention this has brought you?
CT: Ah, I wouldn’t say so much embarrassed. Obviously, you know, you don’t want your name being talked about like that. It’s disappointing.
AL: It looked like right after you hit him, you realized, ‘Geez, I just made a big mistake.’
CT: Absolutely. I didn’t realize he was knocked out on the ice, obviously. It’s one of those things you’re going to regret.
Note: He's 19. He's a kid. Nineteen-year-olds make mistakes, big mistakes, and are often oblivious to the full consequences of their actions -- and, then give awkward apologies (see above). Tropp says he's sorry and he should be sorry. He should also be thankful after using a hockey club like a scythe in a field of wheat that the Michigan player got up after the attack. And, thankful that he's not in jail, but still playing hockey.
Thinking the media has made too much of this is not the correct thought. Players, coaches and pundits have said there's already not enough respect for the other player in sports these days -- especially hockey.
Tropp, if he hasn't tried to already, should apologize in person to the Michigan hockey team. He should donate and raise money for spinal or neck injury foundations for the rest of his playing days -- or, whatever else he thinks would be an appropriate showing of regret. I hope this is a life changing, growth or maturation moment for him. Otherwise, he's learned nothing than that he can still keep playing hockey by bouncing from one league to another.
If he is sincere, we'll know by judging his actions on and off the ice now that everyone knows who he is and what he's done.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Keep it clean.